BENEFITS OF HAVING A BSN
Our nation’s health care system is more complex than ever, making the benefits of a BSN indisputable. Not only do we need more nurses, we also need them to have a strong body of knowledge that can adapt in an ever-changing environment and facilitate better patient outcomes.
A BSN degree from Xavier prepares you to meet current health care demand as well as pursue a more advanced nursing education in the future. More specifically, our ABSN program equips you to:
- Provide competent, compassionate care across the lifespan.
- Practice across the continuum of health care environments.
- Gather and synthesize new patient information.
- Apply clinical reasoning in simple and complex situations.
- Interact effectively with patients from diverse backgrounds.
- Collaborate with others in the delivery of safe, quality patient care.
- Adapt to advancements in medication and health care technology.
- Understand how health care policy plays into nursing practice.
BETTER PATIENT OUTCOMES
Extensive research performed by the American Association of the Colleges of Nursing shows that the more BSN-prepared nurses a health care facility employs, the better the patient outcomes. Several other studies have also come to a similar conclusion, including one that compared inpatient cardiac surgery mortality rates to nursing education levels. The study found that as a hospital increased its number of BSN-prepared nurses on a unit, patient mortality decreased.
Hospitals seeking Magnet® recognition are among the health care employers that seek nurses with high levels of education. Considered the “gold standard” for nursing excellence, Magnet status means that 100% of a hospital’s nurse management staff has a BSN or graduate degree. While there is not a specific mandate for direct care nurses, Magnet hospitals tend to have a higher number of BSN degree holders providing direct patient care.
It would seem the benefits of a BSN not only make it easier for nurses to find quality jobs, but also help ensure patients receive the specialized care they deserve.
BETTER CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
With nurses in high demand all over the country and our ABSN program providing a 16-month transition into the profession, there’s never been a better time to apply to our School of Nursing.
With a BSN degree, you can:
- Earn a high starting salary with a good benefits package.
- Enjoy a high level of job security and professional advancement.
- Pursue a wide variety of career paths, from critical care to administration.
- Practice in diverse health care settings, from hospitals to corporate clinics.
Contact us to learn more about the benefits of having a BSN degree.
ABSN 101 Guide
Download our ABSN 101 Guide to help you successfully navigate the accelerated path to nursing.